» more from Healthy Business 2011


— High in protein and monounsaturated fats
— Avg. weekly store sales in 2010: $159

Almonds are the most popular nut in America, partly because they are seen as diet-friendly. They are high in protein, making them a popular choice for consumers seeking nutritious snacks. While they are high in fat, it's mono-unsaturated fat, which is considered the “healthy” fat.

Some research suggests that almonds help lower bad cholesterol. In addition, they are high in vitamin E and magnesium, providing heart-healthy benefits.

According to Perishables Group, the average grocery store surveyed in the U.S. sold $159 dollars worth of almonds each week in 2010, about the same as in 2006. Sales in 2007 and 2008 were slightly higher.

According to the Food and Agriculutral Organization of the United Nations, there were 846,131 tons of almonds produced in the U.S. in 2006 and more than 1.16 million tons in 2009.

California produces 100 percent of the domestic almond crop. According the Almond Board of California, the U.S. is the largest market; approximately 30 percent of the domestic crop is sold here, while the remaining 70 percent is shipped internationally.

Photo: Randy Mayor | Getty Images