Australian actor Heath Ledger won critical accolades for his work in such films as Monster’s Ball and scored an Oscar nomination for 2006’s Brokeback Mountain. When he was cast as the Joker in The Dark Knight, many people predicted the role would catapult the already ascendant actor to mainstream superstardom. However, on January 22, 2008, he was found dead in his Manhattan home.
Ledger had accidentally overdosed on multiple prescription drugs. According to the coroner’s report, he “died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine.”