» more from Return on Retirement

2. Paying Income Tax on Benefits

Some states tax Social Security benefits, while others don't. Check the laws in the state where you reside.

No matter where you live, you will have to pay federal taxes on your Social Security benefits if you file a federal tax return as an individual and your total income is more than $25,000. If you file a joint return, you will have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a total income of more than $32,000.

Source: ssa.gov

Photo: JGI | Blend Images | Getty Images