Sources connected to the Revel Hotel and Casino said no one from the NFL ever asked for the video showing star running back Ray Rice punching his then-fiancee in the face inside an elevator at the Atlantic City casino, the celebrity news site TMZ reports.
In a statement Tuesday, the NFL's Brian McCarthy said the league made such a request—to law enforcement. The statement did not say when the request was made. The league, which has been under scrutiny for the way it handles domestic violence cases involving players, previously suspended Rice for two games in July, but said it hadn't viewed the footage at that time.
"Security for Atlantic City casinos is handled by the New Jersey State Police. Any videos related to an ongoing criminal investigation are held in the custody of the state police. As we said yesterday: We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator. That video was not made available to us," McCarthy said in Tuesday's statement.
Meanwhile, Nike told CNBC it has terminated its contract with Rice.
On Monday, the Baltimore Ravens cut Rice and the NFL suspended the star running back indefinitely after the video emerged showing him punching his then-fiancee in the face, NBC Sports reported.
TMZ released the video on Monday showing Rice punching his now-wife, Janay, inside of an elevator and then dragging her.
"[NFL Commissioner] Roger Goodell has announced that based on new video evidence that became available today he has indefinitely suspended Ray Rice," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello announced via Twitter.