As more customers order items from online retailers, demand for shipping has jumped. The Postal Service predicts double digit package growth during the holiday season, in the range of 450 to 470 million packages.
The company also anticipates higher demand driven by their recent shipping price cuts for Priority Mail and Commercial Base options.
Read More This trend signals sluggish holiday sales: Cramer
"The Postal Service is a vital business partner for small and large businesses and lowering shipping prices will save them money and improve their bottom line," said Nagisa Manabe, chief marketing and sales officer.
To make sure mail and packages arrive by Christmas, the Postal Service provided the following deadlines:
- Dec. 2 - First-Class Mail International/Priority Mail International
- Dec. 10 – Priority Mail Express International
- Dec. 15 – Standard Post
- Dec. 17 – Global Express Guaranteed
- Dec. 20 – First-Class Mail/Priority Mail (domestic)
- Dec. 23 – Priority Mail Express (domestic)
Read MoreGuess who doesn't really mind the Christmas creep