Around 1:09 p.m. ET the Twitter account was suspended.
A YouTube page labeled as belonging to Centcom was also apparently hacked. By 1:30 p.m. ET, that page had been blanked.
"We can confirm that the U.S. Central Command's Twitter and YouTube accounts were compromised earlier today. We are taking appropriate measures to address the matter," a defense official told NBC News.
Later tweets included images of what were apparently spreadsheets labeled as containing the contact info and home addresses of retired U.S. army generals.
Read MoreObama to focus on cybersecurity ahead of annual speech
Other tweets claimed to include military plans from Pentagon networks. One such image showed a map of China with labels of different military assets. Another supposed Pentagon image featured a map of North Korea with labels for nuclear facilities.
Government officials told NBC News that the Twitter and YouTube accounts are not classified, and that none of the information posted by the hackers was actually classified—the names and contact information are "official use only," they said.
The slides containing information on China and North Korea were not military, the officials told NBC, with some of them coming from MIT.
A U.S. Department of Defense official told NBC News "this is clearly embarrassing, but not a security threat."
Press Secretary Josh Earnest said Monday afternoon the White House was monitoring the incident.