Trouble-ridden Malaysia Airlines left analysts scratching their heads over an announcement Tuesday that it would not allow checked baggage on its Malaysia-to-Europe routes, only to scrap the plan Wednesday morning.
Malaysia Airlines Wednesday said baggage allowances are available again on all flights across the network including services to Amsterdam, London and Paris.
The original statement posted on the carrier's website on Tuesday announcing the ban cited "unseasonably strong headwinds" and long routes over Egyptian airspace as reasons for the move, calling it a safety issue. Passengers could still check baggage, but it would arrive later, that original statement said.
The airline also limited carry-on baggage to 7 kilograms per person in economy class and 14kg in business and first class.
"The airline has recently had to operate a longer route to Europe, which combined with strong head winds, limited the airlines' ability to carry baggage and cargo. The head winds over the last four days were in excess of 200 knots, which can add up to 15 percent fuel burn on a B777-200 aircraft," Malaysia Airlines said in a statement on Wednesday.
"Based on its current risk assessment, done on a daily basis, the airline is now able to take a shorter route on European flights," Malaysia Airlines said.
In responses on its Twitter account, Malaysia Airlines said, "We currently operate a long route to EU via Egypt airspace to avoid conflict zones."
The original statement has since been removed from the Malaysia Airlines site; it was initially replaced with an update saying that normal baggage restrictions had been restored on its flights to London, but the ban still applied to flights to Amsterdam and Paris on January 5-6. The original statement had indicated the baggage restriction could continue indefinitely, based on weather conditions.
Do be advised that each airline conducts their own risk assessment and may not be flying similar routes. Thank you.