Case 1: Stealing $$$ from Scientologists
- A Higher Calling
- He was a Scientology minister. But, Reed Slatkin left the church for a more lucrative career of crime. Operating as a trader out of his garage, Slatkin claims to have devised a system to gain above market returns.
- The Clients
- It's the 'A" list. Hollywood filmmakers. Santa Barbara socialites. Wealthy corporate leaders. The rich and famous believe Slatkin is a savvy investment advisor. They give him cash but Slatkin takes more than just their money.
- The Scam
- The lie is over. The truth is out. Slatkin confesses to operating one of the nation's largest Ponzi schemes pulling in more than $600 million from his investors. American Greed profiles his crimes and the investigators who brought him to justice.
Case 2: The Art of Fraud
- The Crime
- Los Angeles, California. Home to the rich and famous....and those who hope to be. Art Dealer Dr. Vilas Lilkhite preys on wealthy friends and acquaintances. Worthless goods are sold as valuable art treasures. Police are suspicious.
- The Setup
- A high powered meeting is arranged. Two cops posing as businessmen want to buy famous artistic treasures. Likhite is the seller...a convicted criminal police believe will strike again. The con man is set up for a con.
- Covert Ops
- Hidden cameras are in place. Detectives listen in from the next room. Likhite claims he's selling part of a billion dollar collection. Police believe the goods are fake. The sting operation uncovers the truth!