Case 1: Religious Prey: Baptist Foundation of Arizona
- The Church
- A Southern Baptist Church -- an oasis in the Arizona desert, a place of comfort to those in crisis.
- The Investment
- The Baptist Foundation of Arizona -- a non-profit fundraiser dedicated to the church. Investors take a leap of faith and believe their money will be secure.
- The Mirage
- But sometimes in the desert there's a mirage. What appears to be true... is just a trick of the eye. Investors in the BFA discover the harsh reality -- their financial security is an illusion.
- The Collapse
- A father loses his daughter's tuition -- a couple their savings. "American Greed" unravels the elaborate Ponzi scheme which left a religious community betrayed and baffled.
Case 2: Medical Scams: Dr. Mikos
- A town where Midwestern charm meets big city greed -- a town where Dr. Ronald Mikos puts down his roots.
- Dr. Mikos
- He's a caring doctor with a sterling bedside manner. His practice is lucrative. But beneath the charm lies a con artist -- a doctor playing the system and making off with more than a million.
- The Scam
- The scam is simple -- Dr. Mikos bills for expensive foot surgeries -- operations he often never performs. The Feds build a case.
- The Murder
- A patient agrees to testify -- but the star witness turns up dead. "American Greed" profiles a million-dollar case of Medicare fraud and murder.