*Missile defense system to be deployed in Guam- Pentagon. PAJU, South Korea, April 3- North Korea closed access to a joint factory zone with South Korea on Wednesday, officials said, putting at risk $2 billion a year in trade that is vital for an impoverished state with a huge army, nuclear ambitions and a hungry population.
WASHINGTON, April 3- The Pentagon said on Wednesday it was sending an advanced ballistic missile defense system to Guam in the coming weeks, as U.S.
WASHINGTON, April 3- The Pentagon said on Wednesday it was sending an advanced ballistic missile defense system to Guam in the coming weeks, describing the move as a precaution against North Korea's regional ballistic missile threat.
*Naval planner says suitable system to cost $700 million. ASHDOD, Israel, April 1- Israel's huge new offshore gas resource offers its enemies an obvious target and gives its navy, long overshadowed by other branches of the Israeli armed forces, a big job that will require extra spending.
WASHINGTON, March 21- Huntington Ingalls Industries Inc has won a contract giving it $407 million more to buy long lead materials and pay for other work needed to keep construction of the next U.S. aircraft carrier on track, the Pentagon said on Thursday.
WASHINGTON, March 21- The U.S. unit of Britain's BAE Systems Plc has won a fixed-price contract worth $781 million to build a new type of munition for the U.S. military that is more stable and fire-resistant than TNT, the Pentagon said on Thursday.
*Sierra Nevada, Embraer building 20 planes for Afghanistan. WASHINGTON, March 21- Beechcraft Corp said on Thursday it was suing the U.S. Air Force to halt work on a contested aircraft contract won by Brazilian planemaker Embraer and its U.S. partner while federal auditors review Beechcraft's protest against the contract.
WASHINGTON, March 21- Beechcraft Corp said on Thursday it was suing the U.S. Air Force to halt work on a contested aircraft contract won by Brazilian planemaker Embraer and its U.S. partner while federal auditors review Beechcraft's protest against the contract.
TEL AVIV, March 20- Israeli defence electronics firm Elbit Systems said on Wednesday its subsidiary Elbit Systems Electro-optics Elop won an $80 million contract to upgrade armoured fighting vehicles of an Asian customer.
WASHINGTON, March 19- The U.S. Air Force on Tuesday marked the start of operational testing of Lockheed Martin Corp's F-35 stealth fighter at an air base near Las Vegas, but one of four initial jets to be tested remained in Texas after an unscheduled landing en route to the base last week.
WASHINGTON, March 17- The U.S. Marine Corps has extended indefinitely its use of two unmanned K-MAX heavy lift helicopters in Afghanistan, a Navy spokeswoman said, noting the aircraft kept re-supply trucks off the road and reduced the threat of roadside bombs.
TEL AVIV, March 17- Israeli defence contractor Elbit Systems said its wholly owned subsidiary Elisra won a contract worth about $115 million to supply an Asian customer with electronic warfare systems for multi-purpose land missions. The systems will be delivered over two years, Elbit said on Sunday.
WASHINGTON, March 15- The U.S. Air Force on Friday authorized U.S.-based Sierra Nevada Corp and Brazilian planemaker Embraer SA to resume work on a $428 million order building 20 light attack planes for Afghanistan, despite a protest filed by the losing bidder.
SINGAPORE, March 14- Singapore is in the "final stages of evaluating" the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter to upgrade its air force, a process U.S. sources say should turn quickly into orders for more than a dozen of the stealthy warplanes that have been beset with cost overruns and delivery delays.
SINGAPORE, March 14- Singapore is in the "final stages of evaluating" the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter to upgrade its air force, a process U.S. sources say should turn quickly into orders for more than a dozen of the stealthy warplanes that have been beset with cost overruns and delivery delays.
SINGAPORE, March 14- Singapore is in the "final stages of evaluating" the F-35 to upgrade its air force, a process U.S. sources say should turn quickly into orders for several dozen of the stealthy warplanes that have been beset by cost overruns and delivery delays.
WASHINGTON, March 12- The Air Force general who heads the $396 billion F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program said he planned to restructure the Pentagon's F-35 office as part of an overall drive to reduce costs of the costliest U.S. weapons program.
WASHINGTON, March 12- The U.S. Navy's top officer on Tuesday said it would harm the overall F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program if the Navy completely scrapped its plans to buy 260 C-model planes that can land on carriers, but did not rule out a possible reduction in orders.
WASHINGTON, March 11- The U.S. Air Force on Monday defended a decision to award a contract for 20 light attack planes for Afghanistan to U.S.-based Sierra Nevada Corp and its Brazilian partner Embraer SA after scrapping an earlier contract to the companies.