Mad Money host Jim Cramer dissects Macau's move and shares his take on how to profit from gambling stocks.» Read More
Just days before Peregrine Financial Group collapsed, the firm's president sent an email to employees suggesting the crisis had passed, CNBC has learned.
CNBC's Simon Hobbs reports European shares close lower on weak U.S. earnings, and the outlook on market sentiment and precious metals, with CNBC's Gary Kaminsky and Bob Pisani.
CNBC's Gary Kaminsky takes a look at who is portfolio hedging in today's market action.
Adrian Mowat, JPMorgan chief Asian equity strategist, provides perspective ahead of China's latest GDP figures and discusses whether the country's economy is headed for a hard landing.
Kevin Ferry, Cronus Futures Management, weighs in on the ECB's zero interest rate strategy and its impact on futures.
Does the market's losing streak signal trouble ahead for equities? Dan Greenhaus, BTIG chief global strategist, shares investment strategies to handle market volatility.
Discussing what will happen if the U.S. goes off the so-called fiscal cliff, with Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway CEO, former Sen. Alan Simpson, (R-WY); and Erskine Bowles, former chief of staff to President Clinton,
Insight on resolving the U.S. deficit, with Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway CEO, former Sen. Alan Simpson, (R-WY); and Erskine Bowles, former chief of staff to President Clinton. "If Congress doesn't act, we'll face the most predictable economic crisis in history," says Bowles, adding that if he had to bet, "I'd say we are going over the fiscal cliff."
Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway CEO; former Sen. Alan Simpson, (R-WY); and Erskine Bowles, former chief of staff to President Clinton, discuss jobless claims and import prices, and the stalemate in Congress. "We tried to do the things that really made a difference for people who desperately need social security," says Bowles.
"Reform is the cop-out word," comments Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway CEO, discussing solutions needed to reduce the nation's growing debt, with former Sen. Alan Simpson, (R-WY), and Erskine Bowles, former chief of staff to President Clinton. "We have to have about a $trillion of revenue," adds Bowles.
"Everyone know we need something done, and they did their job and Congress has not done its job," says Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway CEO, commenting on the Simpson-Bowles plan to reduce the federal deficit, with former Sen. Alan Simpson, (R-WY), and Erskine Bowles, former chief of staff to President Clinton. "Deficit solutions are painful, but there's no other way out," explains Sen. Simpson.
Europe is trying to put patches on something that leaks, says Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway CEO, commenting on the EU's current fiscal problems, adding "the system cannot survive" the way it is currently designed. Buffett also weighs in on the Libor rate scandal and JPMorgan's Jamie Dimon, calling him "one of the best bankers in the world," despite the company's huge trading losses.
Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway CEO, discusses the outlook on the U.S. economy; the decline in Europe over the past several months; and a pick-up in the homebuilders space, adding a strong comeback in housing is necessary for an overall recovery.
Policy officials have shifted their focus to easing, explains James Paulsen, Wells Capital Management, explaining how the change is creating a market floor and promoting global growth.
Stocks are cheap, but which stocks should investors be buying? Mike Clarfeld, ClearBridge Advisors; Yra Harris, Praxis Trading; and Jim Paulson, Wells Capital Management, weigh in with their thoughts.
"I'm concerned by the five percent move up in the dollar," says James Paulsen, Wells Capital Management chief investment strategist, providing perspective on the outlook for earnings, consumer sentiment, and the U.S. economy.
A look at the U.S. markets ahead of the open, with CNBC's Kelly Evans; including a $9 billion order from United Airlines for up to 100 new 737 Boeing jets.
Alan Greenspan, Former Chairman of the Federal Reserve, discusses his take on whether the U.S. economy is in a recession right now. "Think in terms of two separate economies--one is 92 percent of the GDP, and it's doing reasonably well, and the other 8 percent is largely long-lived assets," he says.
Cities, states, and municipal agencies nationwide are looking at whether they suffered damages from the Libor scandal, and weighing legal action. Brian Gardner, Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, and Mark Calabria, Cato Institute, weigh in. "It's important to separate out two issues--one, you had the Libor manipulations before the crisis that were directly aimed at benefiting Barclays, and the other part was during the crisis," says Calabria.
CNBC's Jackie DeAngelis and Jane Wells report on the agriculture department's response to widespread drought conditions, Merck's new osteoporosis drug, and the buyer of Edvard Munch's "The Scream."