METALS-LME copper steady near more than 5-week top, China data aids
SINGAPORE, Dec 3 (Reuters) - London copper was steady on Monday, sitting near its highest level in more than five weeks hit in the previous session, after promising manufacturing data from top consumer China, but worries over U.S. fiscal woes kept a lid on prices.
* Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange traded almost flat at $7,992.75 a tonne by 0115 GMT. Copper prices climbed above $8,000 for the first time since Oct. 23 last week and is expected to extend its advance on chart-based buying after prices also broke above the 200 day moving average around $7,905.
* The most-traded March copper contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange climbed 0.24 percent to 57,440 yuan ($9,200) a tonne.
* China's economy resumed momentum in November, but there are still signs of over-reliance on growth from the inefficient state sector, a series of purchasing managers' surveys shows.
* The results preceded the release later on Monday of a survey of the non-manufacturing sector, as well as HSBC's final PMI reading for last month.
* Francois Hollande's bid to rescue steel furnaces in France's historic industrial heartland was to be the mark of a president on the side of the workers and a state with the courage to bring a multinational to heel.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click , or
* Asian shares edged higher on Monday as further signs of a stabilising Chinese economy boosted sentiment, but stagnant U.S. budget talks which threaten to derail the world's largest economy kept investors cautious and capped prices
* The euro suffered a bit of a setback on Monday in the wake of Moody's downgrade of the euro zone rescue fund late last week, but the Australian dollar fed off growing optimism about the economic health of its biggest export market, China.
DATA/EVENTS (GMT) 0145 China HSBC Mfg PMI Final Nov 0500 India HSBC Markit Mfg PMI Nov 0500 U.S. Total Vehicle Sales Nov 0843 Italy Markit/ADACI Mfg PMI Nov 0853 Germany Markit/BME Mfg PMI Nov 0858 Euro zone Markit Mfg PMI Nov 1500 U.S. ISM Manufacturing PMI Nov 1500 U.S. Construction spending Oct
Base metals prices at 0115 GMT
Metal Last Change Pct Move YTD pct chg LME Cu 7992.75 -1.25 -0.02 5.17 SHFE CU FUT MAR3 57440 140 +0.24 3.76 HG COPPER MAR3 364.75 -0.25 -0.07 6.16 LME Alum 2090.25 -3.75 -0.18 3.48 SHFE AL FUT FEB3 15470 -25 -0.16 -2.37 LME Zinc 2048.00 1.00 +0.05 11.00 SHFE ZN FUT FEB3 15425 -30 -0.19 4.26 LME Nickel 17516.00 -134.00 -0.76 -6.38 LME Lead 2242.00 -10.00 -0.44 10.17 SHFE PB FUT 0.00 -15435.00 -100.00 -100.00 LME Tin 21850.00 5.00 +0.02 13.80 LME/Shanghai arb^ 837
Shanghai and COMEX contracts show most active months ($1 = 6.2267 Chinese yuan)
(Reporting by Melanie Burton; Editing by Himani Sarkar)