Tumblr CEO David Karp stopped by CNBC Thursday to share what he and his team are working on these days.
During his visit, he shared some interesting tidbits about the growth of social media's latest rising star. Here's a quick glimpse of some of the figures he imparted, straight from the horse's mouth:
1. The New York City based Tumblr ranks third among social media platforms in time spent on the site, coming in behind Facebook and Twitter, according to Nielsen;
2. About 176 million people use Tumblr worldwide; on average there are 900 posts published per second;
3. On average, Tumblr users spend more time on Tumblr browsing content than Facebook users spend on Facebook, according to Comscore data;
4. Karp originally did not envision brands using Tumblr as a platform, but he discovered early on that brands could adopt the space effectively;
5. On average, a post on Tumblr gets reblogged nine times;
6. Tumblr has grown to 140 employees, most of which are engineers;
7. Users spend 2.93 million minutes a month on Tumblr via mobile devices; and
8. Karp wouldn't comment on any plans for the company to go public. However, he said that "I want this to be a company that I can work for in 30 years."