Former Procter & Gamble chief A.G. Lafley told CNBC Tuesday that his successor articulated a growth strategy before activist investor William Ackman's summer assault on the consumer product giant's management team.
With the stock and earnings up since then, Lafley, who retired in 2010, acknowledged in a "Squawk Box" interview, "Obviously, in the short term, everybody was a winner." He also said that he was still a P&G shareholder.
Back in July at the CNBC and Institutional Investor "Delivering Alpha Conference," Ackman disclosed that his Pershing Square, a hedge fund with about $10 billion under management, had taken a $1.8 billion, or about 1 percent, stake in P&G.
(Read More: Ackman Takes Activist Stance on P&G)
Ever since then, he's been trying to push out current Procter & Gamble Chairman and CEO Robert McDonald, though Ackman did say this past fall he understood that the P&G board wanted to give McDonald more time to execute a turnaround plan.
Last month, the company reported better-than-expected earnings for its fiscal second quarter and raised its outlook.
(Read More: Procter & Gamble Tops Estimates, Raises Outlook)