Go Symbol Lookup
Loading...

Vegas Violence: Too Much Sin in Sin City?

 Text Size  
Published: Monday, 25 Feb 2013 | 4:11 PM ET
Jane Wells By:

CNBC Reporter

Vegas Violence Scaring Tourists?
A spokesman for Caesars Entertainment commented on recent violent activity in Las Vegas, saying "we are concerned because it can create misconceptions about the safety of the city," reports CNBC's Jane Wells.

Even if your nickname is "Sin City," murder can be bad for business.

The killings of three people before dawn last week in a shooting and fiery crash on the Las Vegas Strip has some concerned that tourists may stay away.

Police have named Ammar Harris as a suspect in the shooting death of aspiring rapper Kenneth Cherry, apparently after a dispute broke out between the two at a valet area of the Aria Las Vegas, owned by MGM Resorts International.

After being shot, Cherry crashed his Maserati into a taxi, killing both the cab driver and his fare—a small businesswoman on her way to the airport. For 12 hours, the Strip was shut down during the investigation at one of its busiest intersections.

The killings have grabbed headlines, but they aren't the only violent crimes recently in Las Vegas. News reports detail a stabbing earlier this month in an elevator at Mandalay Bay, two people shot in a movie theater parking lot, and a series of bizarre events including a blackjack dealer who had razor blades in both of her hands.

The statistics, however, tell a different story. Local law enforcement officials and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority said crime in Las Vegas fell 13 percent in 2012, and it is down another 11 percent year to date.

Getty Images
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department officers investigate the site of what is being described as a gun battle between shooters in vehicles along the Las Vegas Strip.

"Recent incidents, while unfortunate, were isolated events," said the LVCVA in a statement. "Las Vegas is among the safest travel destinations in the world and utilizes the most advanced technology and training to maintain a secure environment."

The headlines are coming just as the number of visitors to Las Vegas is getting back up close to 40 million a year. Conventions and meetings in 2012 jumped nearly 14 percent.

Are people having second thoughts about traveling to Sin City? There's no sign of it yet. Conventions scheduled this week include 6,000 people expected for an IBM meeting, and another large convention is scheduled for the International Conference of Funeral Service Examining Boards.

"I've heard back from our meetings and convention team, and they've seen not any impact yet," said Gary Thompson, a spokesman of Caesars Entertainment.

"Each of our resorts employs fully-trained, full-time, professional security departments and our extensive surveillance systems provide law enforcement with valuable assistance, often helping them close cases quickly," said Gordon Absher with MGM Resorts. "We continue to work closely with Metro on this investigation."

On Twitter, most tourists suggested the news wouldn't deter them. "I would go tomorrow no problem," tweeted @charlieO88. "Violence is everywhere anyway," added @Realityhrts. And from @MattSoleyn, "I'm hoping this recent crime drives down prices to fly / stay there."

—By CNBC's Jane Wells; Follow her on Twitter: @janewells

 Print
Even if your nickname is "Sin City," murder can be bad for business. The killings of three people before dawn last week in a shooting and fiery crash on the Las Vegas Strip has some concerned that tourists may stay away.
  Price   Change %Change
MGM ---
CAESARS ---

   
Comments

 

More Comments

 
 

Add Comments

 

Your Comments (Up to 1100 characters):

Remaining characters

Your comments have not been posted yet.

Please review your submission to make sure you are comfortable with your entry.

Your Comments:


                
            
            
        

Featured

American Greed

  • Doug Vaughan appears to be swimming in money. KOB-TV anchor Tom Joles, FBI special agent David Backlund, former employee Wayne Unze, and former investors Tommy Hightower and Philip Dugan discuss Vaughan's lavish lifestyle that made his business appear legitimate.

  • By all appearances Doug Vaughan's business is doing "quite well." Investigators explain how Vaughan kept his investors in the dark.

  • F.B.I. Special Agent David Backlund describes how Vaughan chose specific people to pay back in order to keep the fraud going.