Highlights of the new iPad app include:
- A dual list and map view, when searching hotels.
- The ability to compare details of multiple flights, rental cars or hotels from a single screen.
- Advanced sorting and filtering capabilities
- Mobile-only discount deals not found on the Orbitz website.
- Viewing itinerary details in offline mode.
- Adding trip details to the built-in iPad calendar.
- One-tap access to information on flight delays and gate changes.
Other major online travel agencies that sell flights, hotels and rental cars have iPad apps with booking abilities. But Orbitz's app is the first to allow booking each trip element fully within the native app versus opening embedded WebView screens for some search and booking executions.
The new app could be particularly helpful during transit as more airlines add in-flight Wi-Fi, and tablets have become a popular form of entertainment for travelers. (Read more: Will iPads Revolutionize In-Flight Entertainment?)
For additional details of the Orbitz iPad app, click here.