Aereo is pushing the envelope with the distribution of television content, allowing consumers to view, save, fast forward, rewind and pause live broadcast television over the internet using its antenna/DVR technology, without any cords, cables, boxes or cable provider plan. It is currently only available in New York City, launching in Boston this week, and expanding across the U.S.
Cable, satellite and streaming television distribution and advertising.
Headquarters: Long Island City, NY
CEO: Chet Kanojia
Year Founded: 2012
Number of Employees: 75
Funding: $63 million
Key Investors: IAC (Barry Diller), Highland Capital Partners, FirstMark Capital, First Round Capital and High Line Venture Partners
- Pioneered antenna design smaller than finger tip
- 30 broadcast channels
- Reaches 19 million New York area residents
- Planning to expand to 22 additional markets in 2013
- Offers $1 a day/$8 a month/$80 annual plan options
- Has been sued by a group of 17 broadcasters