An online news organization mixing original reporting across a wide variety of subject verticals, and native advertising (sponsored content), in a publishing model focused on social sharing and viral traffic growth.
Traditional publishing models, both print and digital.
Headquarters: New York
CEO: Jonah Peretti
Year Founded: 2008
Number of Employees: 250
Funding: $46.3 million
Key Investors: Hearst Ventures, SoftBank Capital, New Enterprise Associates, RRE Ventures and Lerer Ventures
- Revenue increased three times from 2011 to 2012
- Revenue expected to double in 2013
- Projects profitability in 2013
- Doubled monthly traffic in past six months (hit 65 million unique visits in April)
- 60 percent of readers are 18 to 34
- More than 70 percent of traffic is from social and over half is from mobile
- Advertisers include GE, GEICO, Virgin Mobile, Sprint, Pepsi, Viacom and YouTube
- Over 300 years of its video has been watched on YouTube
- More than 100 million views over 500 total videos
- Most popular videos: "The Angriest Babies in The Whole World," "What 2,000 Calories Looks Like" and "True Facts About The Angler Fish."