Global real-time communications platform that invented the 140-character tweet. With its runaway social media success, Twitter is now entering a new phase of business development, testing how far its original business concept will allow it to extend, including a major push into advertising and the music sector.
The nature of communication.
Headquarters: San Francisco, Calif.
CEO: Dick Costolo
Year Founded: 2006
Number of Employees: 1,500
Funding: $1.16 billion
Key Investors: Digital Sky Technologies, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, T. Rowe Price, Spark Capital, Benchmark, Morgan Stanley
- Ranks 26th among most visited U.S. websites (Comscore)
- Reaches over 200 million active monthly users
- 400 million tweets per day
- Jack Dorsey's first tweet: March 21, 2006: "just setting up my twttr"
- Expected to reach $582 million in ad revenue in 2013 (eMarketer)
- Projected to reach nearly $1 billion in ad revenue in 2014 (eMarketer)
- Projected 2015 mobile ad revenue 60% (eMarketer); 1Q 2013 Facebook was at 30% ad revenue from mobile
- You can now tweet in more than 20 languages