A manufacturer of desktop 3-D printers.
Headquarters: Brooklyn, N.Y.
CEO: Bre Pettis
Year Founded: 2009
Number of Employees: N/A
Funding: $10 million
Key Investors: Foundry Group, Bezos Expeditions, True Ventures and RRE Ventures
- Controls 25 percent of 3-D printer market
- More than 15,000 MakerBot 3-D printers in use
- Makerbot's Replicator 2 retails for $2,199
- MakerBot's Thingiverse website features more than 28,000 downloadable projects
- Pandora's printer: 3D-printed human organs and weapons could one day be mass-produced
- Claims to be only company to ever introduce physical product at SXSW conference
- CEO Bre Pettis previously was an art teacher in Seattle public schools, co-founder of hacker collective NYC Resistor and introduced the blog at Etsy's marketplace