A smartphone and Web-based, on-demand professional car service ordering system.
Passenger car market, urban transportation market and professional car service industry.
Headquarters: San Francisco
CEO: Travis Kalanick
Year Founded: 2009
Number of Employees: N/A
Funding: $37 million (latest round)
Key Investors: Benchmark Capital, Jeff Bezos, Menlo Ventures and Goldman Sachs
- Benchmark Capital partner (and Uber investor) Bill Gurley says Uber is growing faster than eBay
- Recently denied reports it was pitching investors at a valuation of $1 billion
- New York City recently lifted a ban on Uber-like services
- Charges a 1 percent booking fee
- Available globally, including Rome, Singapore and Sydney
- You can gift Uber with Uber Credits
- Uber founder Garrett Camp is also behind private jet seat rental company BlackJet