Free smartphone-based service that lets patients research doctors and dentists, and book appointments.
Traditional health-care industry model—specifically, individual practitioner research and access.
Headquarters: New York
CEO: Cyrus Massoumi
Year Founded: 2007
Number of Employees: 450
Funding: $95 million
Key Investors: DST Global, Founders Fund, Khosla Ventures, SV Angel, Goldman Sachs, Bezos Expeditions and Marc Benioff
- Idea came when CEO burst eardrum on cross-country flight and had to wait four days to see a doctor
- 2.5 million patients a month visit ZocDoc in 1,800 locations
- Covers 40% of U.S. population
- Average wait time for health care nationwide: 20 days
- 10 percent to 20 percent of medical appointments are canceled at the last minute—the "hidden supply"
- ZocDoc provides appointments in 24 hours to 72 hours
- Aim is to book appointments in less than one minute
- 38% of ZocDoc appointments are booked while the doctor's office is closed
- 40 percent of appointments take place within 24 hours
- Offers access to 35 physician specialty areas
- Is now being offered in Spanish
- Launched first product since inception last October, ZocDoc Check-In, which lets patients fill out medical forms online before appointment
"Disruption is turning a contrarian idea into reality, and later people can’t believe this new reality was ever contrarian at all."