Low-cost DNA analysis service providing individuals with access to personalized genetic data to inform health care decisions.
Traditional health-care industry model of reactive patient care.
Headquarters: Mountain View, Calif.
CEO: Anne Wojcicki
Year Founded: 2006
Number of Employees: 92
Funding: $126.4 million
Key Investors: Google Ventures, MPM Capital, New Enterprise Associates, Sergey Brin, Esther Dyson, Yuri Milner, Johnson & Johnson Development Corp., the Roche Venture Fund (Genentech)
- Personal Genome Service is $99 (and requires a little of your saliva)
- Has more than 250,000 genotyped customers
- Goal is 1 million genotyped customers by the end of 2013—the 1 million threshhold is the key to larger genetic discoveries more quickly
- Name refers to the 23 pairs of chromosomes that make up person's genome
- Has collected 100 million phenotypic data points from surveys to fuel genetic research effort
- Collects 2 million survey responses online each week
- Jimmy Buffett and Warren Buffett, both of them customers, are not closely related, according to DNA analysis
- CEO is the wife of Sergey Brin