The social, location-based app aiming to turn a fast-growing community into a revenue-generating business.
Advertising, retail, search markets.
- Over 30 million users worldwide
- Over 3 billion check-ins, with millions more every day
- Over a million businesses using the Merchant Platform
- Foursquare "mayors" are given special deals by merchants
- In true Foursquare location-oriented form, founders note that they built the Foursquare prototype in two downtown NYC cafes: Cafe OST and Think Coffee
- Clients include Starbucks, HIlton, Starwood Hotels, Best Buy, American Express, H&M, and eight of the top 10 U.S. quick service restaurant chains and eight of the top 10 U.S. retailers.
Headquarters: San Francisco
CEO: Dennis Crowley
Year Founded: 2009
Number of Employees: 150
Funding: $112 million
Key Investors: Andreessen Horowitz, O'Reilly AlphaTech Ventures, the Silver Lake Waterman Fund, Spark Capital, SV Angel, and Union Square Ventures