A California judge Thursday ordered Monster Beverage to mediation Nov. 26 in a wrongful death suit that alleges the company's energy drinks were responsible for a teen's death.
Monster is being sued by the parents of a 14-year-old Maryland girl who died after consuming two of the company's drinks within 24 hours in the fall of 2012. Her parents allege the highly caffeinated drink is to blame. A coroner's report in Maryland agreed saying Anais Fournier died of "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity." The girl also, however, had an existing heart problem, but not one that was severe enough for doctors to limit her activities or to warn her away from caffeine.
"Anais' parents were hoping a trial date would be set at the hearing and they're frustrated that despite mounting evidence that energy drinks are dangerous and should not be consumed by children or anyone with an underlying heart condition, Monster continues to sell thousands of energy drinks to young people every day," said Kevin Goldberg, the attorney representing the Fournier family.