A lone man wearing gloves, a cap and a scarf to mask his face sneaked into a diamond show in a luxury Cannes hotel and made off with some $136 million of loot, a French state prosecutor said Monday—more than twice the initial estimated take from the weekend holdup.
Police had previously said Sunday's theft at the Carlton Intercontinental Hotel had netted 40 million euros ($53 million) worth of treasure—even at that level, one of biggest jewelry heists in recent years. Reached by The Associated Press, Philippe Vique, an assistant prosecutor in the Riviera town of Grasse, said the Dubai-based organizer of the diamond show had since raised the value based on a more complete inventory.
Describing a canny—if quick and logistically simple—break-in, Vique said the suspect broke in through French doors at the hotel that open out onto Cannes' famed Croisette, held up the participants of the show with a handgun, then fled on foot. The holdup itself took place in the space of about a minute, and with three private security guards, two vendors and a manager of the sale-exhibit on hand, he said.
(Related slideshow: The worlds's richest diamond owners)