METALS-Copper near 9-week high on global recovery hopes
SINGAPORE, Aug 15 (Reuters) - London copper hung within a whisker of nine-week highs on Thursday after European economic growth figures this week built on robust China data, fuelling confidence a global economic recovery is slowly taking root.
* Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange traded little changed at $7,318.25 a tonne by 0106 GMT from the previous session.
* Copper prices hit 9-week highs of $7,354.75 a tonne on Tuesday and have recouped nearly half of the year's losses of more than 16 percent seen in late June.
* The most-traded December copper contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange climbed 0.42 percent to 52,400 yuan ($8,600) a tonne.
* The U.S. Federal Reserve risks pushing inflation even lower if it tapers bond purchases too aggressively and could take a more cautious approach by initially only scaling back by a small amount, a senior central banker said on Wednesday.
* The economies of Germany and France grew faster than expected in the second quarter, bettering a widely heralded expansion in the United States and pulling the euro zone out of a 1-1/2 year-long recession.
* Workers began a surprise strike at the world's largest copper mine, Chile's Escondida, on Wednesday morning to demand improved working conditions and pay.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click , or
* The dollar was at a standstill on Thursday hamstrung by uncertainty on when the Federal Reserve might start trimming its stimulus, while the euro and sterling drew support from better economic news at home.
* Asian stocks got off to a weak start on Thursday, as uncertainty on when the U.S. Federal Reserve may start to pare back its stimulus offset any cheer from a brighter economic picture in Europe.
DATA/EVENTS GMT 1330 US CPI mm, sa 1330 US Core CPI mm, sa 1330 US NY Fed manufacturing 1330 US Initial jobless claims 1330 US Jobless claims 4-week avg 1230 US Real Earnings For July 1400 U.S. Nahb Index For August 1400 Philadelphia Fed Business Activity Index for August PRICES Base metals prices at 0106 GMT
Metal Last Change Pct Move YTD pct chg LME Cu 7318.25 2.25 +0.03 -7.70 SHFE CU FUT DEC3 52400 220 +0.42 -9.15 HG COPPER SEP3 3.33 -0.01 -0.22 -99.09 LME Alum 1892.50 0.50 +0.03 -8.62 SHFE AL FUT NOV3 14430 55 +0.38 -5.96 LME Zinc 1951.75 -3.25 -0.17 -5.42 SHFE ZN FUT NOV3 14935 -610 -3.92 -3.92 LME Nickel 14814.00 -81.00 -0.54 -13.65 LME Lead 2206.00 -3.00 -0.14 -5.73 SHFE PB FUT 0.00 -14405.00 -100.00 -100.00 LME Tin 21850.00 -75.00 -0.34 -6.62 LME/Shanghai arb^ -206
Shanghai and COMEX contracts show most active months ($1 = 6.1196 Chinese yuan)
(Reporting by Melanie Burton; Editing by Supriya Kurane)