Squawking Kid Rock-Madonna, Apple-Icahn, Greenspeak
This week, Caterpillar missed the mark—posting lower-than-expected earnings and cutting its outlook. We sure "dig" CEO Doug Oberhelman, so we had him on to ask what happened and where the weakness came from. Strangely enough, he blamed the results on not enough "digging."
Sounds like Jim is starting to smell what the automakers are cooking! Check it out.
'Squawkward Moments' from the anchors
Joe Kernen: "I use it (Twitter) for only one reason."
Becky Quick: "Yes, you like to watch!"
Joe: "Excuse me!?"
- Monday: Apple, Herbalife, Merck, OfficeMax
- Tuesday: Aflac, Aetna, Gilead Sciences, Johnson Controls, Goodyear, Waste Management
- Wednesday: Allstate, Boston Beer, Boyd Gaming, Comcast, Marriott, Southern Co., Speedway Motorsports, Sprint
- Thursday: Clorox, Cigna, Exxon Mobil, New York Times
- Friday: Chevron, Cooper Tire, Martha Stewart Living, The Washington Post
Tweets of note
Billionaire activist and big Apple shareholder @Carl_C_Icahn tweeted Wednesday, "Just sent a letter to Tim Cook. Full letter will be disclosed on my website, the Shareholders' Square Table."
(I am sure Apple CEO Tim Cook is thrilled.)
Followed by ... @Carl_C_Icahn: "SST has launched. Join to fight for true corporate democracy, read our letter to Tim Cook, and much more!"
Then on Thursday, Icahn went on CNBC—saying undervalued Apple should do a massive buyback of shares. He also said he could consider a proxy fight if the company didn't follow his advice.
(Mr. Cook, don't make any weekend getaway plans!)
We love putting Joe's head on the bodies of our unsuspecting guests. Usually, it's Joe as a famous billionaire, or Joe as chairman of a powerful committee on Capitol Hill or Joe as ... well, you get the picture.
But how many opportunities to we get to make Joe into "Kid Squawk!" Hopefully, the real Kid Rock will get a good laugh.
It's almost ski season (my personal favorite)! Check out our talk with the CEO of Vail Resorts—you'll be ready to buckle in and take a few runs by the end of the interview.
Must follow them @ ...
In honor of @VailResorts coming on the show this week to give us a preview of the ski/snowboard season, I'll pass on a few of my other personal favorite ski/snowboard areas.
So many to choose from but I'll single out @BigSkyResort in Montana (Steeps!); @JayPeaksNow in Vermont (Trees!); @JHSki (Jackson Hole, Wyo., Vertical!); and, locally, @Plattekill (Hidden gem!) for NYC-area day-trippers.
Netflix viewership soaring
Want evidence the media landscape is changing rapidly? Check out this interview we did with longtime media analyst Richard Greenfield. He calculated that Netflix is now the fifth most-watched "TV network" in the country.
The eight-year battle got back in full swing this week. And it was a disaster for Becky, whom Joe blanked, four to nothing.
"RDNOPA" is Joe's bonus jumbled word of the week. Becky's is "DLEDAP." Find the answers at the end.
Mark your calendar (or set your DVR)
- Monday: Charles Kantor (Neuberger Berman) and Peter Fisher (BlackRock)
- Tuesday: David Darst (Morgan Stanley Wealth Management)
- Wednesday: Ken Langone (Invemed Associates, Home Depot founder)
- Thursday: Cliff Robbins (Blue Harbor) and James Paulsen (Wells Capital Management)
- Friday: Charles Plosser (Philadelphia Fed president)
- Monday: Industrial Production (9:15 a.m. ET)
- Tuesday: PPI (8:30 a.m. ET)
- Wednesday: ADP (8:15 a.m. ET) and CPI (8:30 a.m. ET)
- Thursday: Jobless Claims (8:30 a.m. ET) and Personal Income & Spending (8:30 a.m. ET)
- Friday: ISM Manufacturing (10 a.m. ET)\
Kansas In New Jersey
We love to plug shows of our favorite bands. Phil Ehart of @KansasBand is the official drummer of @SquawkCNBC. So we like to plug their shows every time they come to our home state. (Yep, CNBC is a Jersey Band!) So if you are in the South Jersey/Philadelphia-area Saturday night, head over to the Scottish Rite Auditorium in Collingswood. The show starts at 8 p.m. ET.
Corny-sappy motivational business-based inspirational quote
"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning."
*Joe's Jumble bonus word answer: RDNOPA=pardon
*Becky's Jumble bonus word answer: DLEDAP=paddle