BLOG: The Squawking Dead, Apple a day, Team Danica
Is it finally time for me to trade in my 1997 Chevy Suburban? GM is surely hoping so and it's driving up incentives big time in an attempt to get me in the showroom. Check out our Phil LeBeau's (follow @lebeaucarnews) interview with GM's CFO.
News tidbits you can (kind-of) use
The FDA said that 12 percent of spice imports are contaminated with insect parts, whole insects and rodent hairs.
(Only 12%? What's the problem? We assumed it was more like 50%!)
As we mentioned earlier, we had race car driver Danica Patrick on the show this week, but now we find out the GoDaddy.com website that features her in Super Bowl ads is no longer going with the "sexy" theme but rather plans to focus on "humor" this year.
(Idiots, you have Danica Patrick as your spokesperson and you want to focus on humor?! Brilliant.)
Cramer's dead horse
Twitter is getting ready to debut next week. But before you jump on the Twitter bandwagon listen to Jim's history lesson on last year's big tech IPO, Facebook, and why he thinks the stock now may be a dead horse. Watch the video here.
Earnings on tap
- Monday: Kellogg, Marathon Oil, Unum
- Tuesday: AOL, CVS Caremark, Dominion Resources, Office Depot, OfficeMax
- Wednesday: Activision Blizzard, CBS, Devon Energy, Duke Energy, Qualcomm, Time Warner
- Thursday: Beazer Homes, Walt Disney, Groupon, NVIDIA
- Friday: Cablevision Systems
Tweets of Note:
@beckyquickcnbc: Lookout! Kraft issued a recall for Polly-O string cheese. Found the affected UPC in my fridge. pic.twitter.com/Iup3YUBlea
(The idea that the first I heard about this was seeing it the next day on Twitter scares me.)
Joe and Becky's running Word Jumble contest after the show was knotted at two wins apiece on Thursday. Joe's bonus word of the week is YDNKOE. Becky's word is EHYTRO. Get the answers at the end of this blog.
- Mark your calendar (or set your DVR)
- Monday: James Bullard (St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank President)
- Tuesday: Barry Sternlicht (Starwood Capital Group CEO)
- Wednesday: Richard LeFrak (The Lefrak Organization President)
- Thursday: Twitter IPO day!
- Friday: Ron Baron (Baron Capital CEO)
Next week's economic calendar
- Wednesday: ADP Employment Report (8:15 a.m. ET)
- Thursday: Weekly Jobless Claims and GDP Advance Estimate Q3 (8:30 a.m. ET)
- Friday: Non-Farm Payrolls, Unemployment Rate for October and Personal Income & Spending for September (8:30 a.m.m ET)
The 'Corny-Sappy Motivational Business-Based Inspirational Quote' for the weekend
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson
*Joe's Jumble bonus word answer: YDNKOE=donkey
*Becky's Jumble bonus word answer: EHYTRO=theory