Squawking mixed metaphors, the Pats, Fink on bonds
Talking Squawk, the official "Squawk Box" blog, provides tidbits, insights and some sarcastic reflections on the WEEK THAT WAS and the WEEK TO COME from the notepad of the show's senior executive producer.
The money man
He's one of the most powerful men in finance. He built BlackRock from the ground up, and it's now the 800-pound gorilla on Wall Street.
Larry Fink spent Thursday morning with us, after his firm gave another rock-solid earnings report—beating estimates on earnings and revenues and increasing its dividend. What was his No. 1 message to us?
The long-discussed "great rotation" from bonds to stocks is more likely to be a "great rotation" within the bond market itself.
As a Jets fan I hate writing this but …
Jonathan Kraft, president of the Kraft Group and the New England Patriots, stopped by to give us his take on quarterback Tom Brady, and the Pats' playing in their 10th AFC Championship this weekend.
I love my job!
Do you work for a great company? Fortune publishes a list each year of the "100 Best Companies to Work For," and editor of all things Fortune Andy @Serwer stopped by to discuss the highlights and crown the best of the best.
Here's the entire list if you want to find out if your company is on it!
Joe spent Thursday purposely mixing his metaphors (he gets distracted easily). Then he solicited the viewers to send more. This is a great list from one viewer who collected his list over a number of years.
- We could stand here and talk until the cows turn blue.
- You could have knocked me over with a fender.
- He was watching me like I was a hawk.
- I'll get it by hook or ladder.
- He's a wolf in cheap clothing.
- They're diabolically opposed.
- He received a decease-and-desist order.
- I wouldn't eat that with a 10-foot pole.
- Take a flying hike.
- I shot the wind out of his saddle.
- A loose tongue spoils the broth.
- I can read him like the back of my book.
- From now on, I'm watching everything you do with a fine-tuned comb.
- It's as easy as falling off a piece of cake.
- These hemorrhoids are a real pain in the neck.
- It's time to grab the bull by the tail and look him in the eye.
- I wouldn't be caught dead there with a 10-foot pole.
- I hope he gets his curve ball straightened out.
- It's time to step up to the plate and lay your cards on the table.
- He's burning the midnight oil from both ends.
- You can't change the spots on an old dog.
- It sticks out like a sore throat.
- It's like looking for a needle in a hayride.
- People are dying like hotcakes.
- He's a little green behind the ears.
- You can't go in there cold turkey with egg on your face.
- We have to get all our ducks on the same page.
- And ... I'm sweating like a bullet.
Behind the wheel
Our Phil LeBeau knows cars. We here on "Squawk Box" love cars. So when we put "Squawk," Phil, and cars together we get … a TV business news love triangle. Phil brought on GM's new CEO, Mary Barra.
Barra talked about the Chevy Silverado winning "Truck of the Year" on the heels of announcing an embarrassing recall of the very same truck!
Oh ... and about that aforementioned love triangle? It works with Phil, "Squawk," and the new BMW 2 series as well.