METALS-LME nickel targets 5 pct weekly gain post Indonesia ban
SYDNEY, Jan 17 (Reuters) - London nickel fell on Friday as traders locked in profits after a ban on Indonesian ore exports that came into force at the weekend triggered its biggest weekly gain in nearly a year.
* Three-month nickel on the London Metal Exchange dropped by 0.8 percent to 14,575 a tonne on Friday, trimming gains for the week to around 5 percent, its biggest weekly rise since early February 2013.
* Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange was barely changed at $7,308 a tonne by 0110 GMT from the previous session when it lost half a percent. Prices reached a one-week high at $7,370 on Thursday.
* The most-traded April copper contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange slipped by 0.2 percent to 51,670 yuan ($8,500) a tonne.
* Indonesia's nickel production will decline by 84 percent this year to 9 million tonnes compared to last year, the chief economic minister said on Thursday, as a ban on nickel ore hits output from the world's largest exporter.
* A year of tumbling share prices and a shrinking pool of funding have left smaller mining companies vulnerable to the approaches of medium-sized rivals with cash in the bank and an eye for a bargain.
* The U.S. Federal Reserve should give the economy the stimulus it needs despite "credible" worries that its massive bond-buying program could destabilize the financial system, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke said on Thursday.
* A much better year lies in store for most of the world's major developed economies, although weak inflation will persist, complicating central banks' ability to get interest rates back to normal, Reuters polls forecast on Thursday.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click , or
* Stocks got off to a lacklustre start and the dollar was on the back foot in early Asian trading on Friday after downbeat results cast a shadow over Wall Street.
0500 Japan Consumer confidence
1330 U.S. Housing starts
1330 U.S. Building permits
1415 U.S. Industrial output
1455 U.S. Univ of Michigan sentiment index
Three month LME copper
Most active ShFE copper
Three month LME aluminium
Most active ShFE aluminium
Three month LME zinc
Most active ShFE zinc
Three month LME lead
Most active ShFE lead
Three month LME nickel
Three month LME tin
($1 = 6.0557 Chinese yuan)
(Reporting by Melanie Burton; Editing by Richard Pullin)