GO
Loading...

Berlusconi faces new investigation in prostitution case

Manuela D'Alessandro
Thursday, 23 Jan 2014 | 5:42 AM ET
Silvio Berlusconi
Getty Images
Silvio Berlusconi

Milan prosecutors said on Thursday they had opened a new investigation against Silvio Berlusconi over accusations the former Italian prime minister corrupted witnesses in a trial in which he was convicted of paying for sex with a minor.

The investigation follows the conviction of three associates in a separate but related trial in which they were found guilty of procuring young women for prostitution at parties at Berlusconi's luxurious villa near Milan.

Last year, judges in the trial requested prosecutors to consider opening an investigation into allegations that Berlusconi and his lawyers had called in some of the young women for meetings to discuss the evidence they planned to give in court.

Follow us on Twitter: @CNBCWorld

Featured

Contact Europe News

  • CNBC NEWSLETTERS

    Get the best of CNBC in your inbox

    › Learn More

Europe Video

  • Jan Dunning, CEO of St Petersburg-headquartered hypermarket chain Lenta, says the situation in Ukraine has had no impact on the group, as consumer confidence remains unaffected in Russia.

  • Vincent Deluard, European strategist at Ned Davis Research Group, says the strong euro is a problem for the region's companies, especially for the large exporters.

  • European shares closed higher on Thursday as investors brushed aside concerns regarding Ukraine and focused instead on Wall Street earnings and the latest U.S. jobs data.