Talking Squawk, the official "Squawk Box" blog, provides tidbits, insights and some sarcastic reflections on the WEEK THAT WAS and the WEEK TO COME from the notepad of the show's senior executive producer.
Which means before we get to all the serious stuff, we have a link to the video of Joe touring the local "High Altitude" brewery, and our crew couldn't travel to Switzerland without giving curling a try.
But we actually did some work, too. It's hard to sum up all we learned and who we met. It's a true example of when it rains, it pours. But the interviews are worth a closer look, so I'll link to many of them below and you can pick and choose. (OR JUST WATCH THEM ALL!)
- Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd Blankfein: Be 'long, not short' emerging markets in the long term
- Sir Richard Branson on bitcoin: Take that, Mr. Dimon
- George Soros on Russia: Putin acting out from a point of weakness
- Bono and Bank of America CEO Brian Moynihan on Super Bowl offer to fight AIDS in Africa
- JPMorgan Chairman and CEO Jamie Dimon: Economy starting to fire on all cylinders
- Treasury Secretary Jack Lew: Dimon and I share 'incredulity' on bitcoin
- Dow Chemical Chairman and CEO Andrew Liveris: Political uncertainty biggest risk to world economy
- Harvard's Ken Rogoff on assessing global risk
- Aetna Chairman and CEO Mark Bertolini: We could be forced out of Obamacare
- Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson on global expansion plans
- Starwood Hotels CEO Frits Van Paasschen on its expansion plans
- Hedge fund legend Ray Dalio on why he thinks stocks and bonds are fairly valued
- William Browder, CEO of Hermitage Capital Management, on Russian corruption and Winter Olympics security
- Morgan Stanley Chairman and CEO James Gorman: Our strategy is in place, results not there yet
- Liberty Global CEO Mike Fries on reshaping media
- Deal Buzz with David Rubenstein of the Carlyle Group
- Tom Donohue, CEO of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce: Government, get out of the way
- NYSE Euronext CEO Duncan Niederauer: Retail investor 'scared' out of the market
- Judith Rodin, CEO of the Rockefeller Foundation on targeting youth unemployment
- Novartis CEO Joe Jimenez: Healthier people, healthier economy
- Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker: We need to protect consumers' credit
- Blackstone Chairman and CEO Steve Schwarzman on real estate
- Larry Summers, former Obama adviser and Clinton Treasury secretary: Don't tear down the rich
- Coca-Cola Chairman and CEO Muhtar Kent on putting kids back to work
All you have to do is fill out a perfect NCAA March Madness college basketball pool, and Dan Gilbert of Quicken Loans will send the check in the mail.
It's a good thing Warren Buffett is insuring this contest!
Shark Tank Tuesdays
He's a shark in business clothes.
"Shark Tank's" own Kevin O'Leary spent a morning on the "Squawk Box" set this week and gave us his thoughts on government regulation and the challenges facing small business.
Earnings on tap
Hair Nation (courtesy of @colonelglasses, aka "Squawk Box" producer Dave Evans)
Joe arriving in Davos sought to protect one of his most valuable assets.
Joe also rubbed elbows with Hollywood A-listers in the World Economic Forum.
Must follow them @
@chuckleavell (He's the fifth Rolling Stone, and he hung out in the studio Tuesday playing some classic rock!)
@groovebookApp (Kevin O'Leary of "Shark Tank" brought this phone-to-photo book company to us, and we signed up instantly! Great idea!)
With Joe and Becky on the road, their years-long grudge match was suspended for the week. (Apparently they don't do the Jumble in Davos!) Let's give them both a practice word to keep them fresh. Joe's bonus word of the week is DCLAER. Becky's bonus word is NFOCLA. Find the answers at the end of the blog.
Mark your calendar (or set your DVR)
- Monday: Michael Ryan, chief investment strategist at UBS; private equity billionaire Wilbur Ross; and former State Department economic guru Robert Hormats
- Tuesday: Bob Doll of Nuveen; Omega Advisors CEO Leon Cooperman, former Citigroup Chairman Dick Parsons; buy-and-hold investor Ron Baron; and Richard Kovacevich, former boss at Wells Fargo
- Wednesday: Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio; and real estate bigwigs Stephen Ross and Richard Lefrak
- Thursday: AutoNation CEO Mike Jackson; Evercore Partners CEO Ralph Schlosstein; and legendary investor John Bogle
- Friday: Super Bowl Special! Robert McNair of the Houston Texans; Jonathan Tisch, treasurer of the New York Giants; Bob Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots; and Woody Johnson, owner of the New York Jets
Next week's economic calendar
- Monday: New Home Sales
- Tuesday: Durable Goods Orders
- Wednesday: FOMC meeting announcement
- Thursday: GDP and Jobless Claims
- Friday: Personal Income and Spending
The Corny-Sappy Motivational Business-Based Inspirational Quote
"Embrace what you don't know, especially in the beginning, because what you don't know can become your greatest asset. It ensures that you will absolutely be doing things differently from everybody else."
—Sara Blakely, Spanx founder
*Joe's Jumble bonus word answer: DCLAER=Cradle
*Becky's Jumble bonus word answer: NFOCLA=Falcon