Late last night, I hit 100,000 followers on Twitter. In honor of the milestone, I'm taking a shot and imparting all I've learned in my 853 days using the platform.
1. Twitter is for everyone. A person in any profession can help his or her career if he or she utilizes it correctly.
2. Only follow your friends if they have something you want to hear. Facebook is for friendships.
3. For the rest of eternity, no one is going to believe you if you said you were hacked, even if you were. Sorry.
4. Please don't link your Foursquare and Twitter accounts. Your Twitter followers signed up for your Twitter content, not the fact that you just became the mayor of Starbucks.
5. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was your Twitter account. Developing a strong following takes time and effort.
6. Always credit your source if you find content worth sharing. Think like a journalist when you're passing along quality info.