GO
Loading...

Enter multiple symbols separated by commas

Telefonica Hires Lehman for Endemol Sale

Spanish telecoms group Telefonica has formally launched the sales process for its stake in Dutch TV firm Endemol by hiring Lehman Brothers as adviser, both firms said on Friday.

Speculation as to who might buy the 75% stake in Endemol, the creator of worldwide reality TV hit "Big Brother", has swirled for months, with private equity firms and Endemol co-founder John De Mol considered to be interested bidders.

Analysts have cited Endemol's run of hit formats, global network, strong cash generation and underleveraged financial position as attractive for potential bidders.

Endemol said in a statement on Friday that Telefonica had asked Merrill Lynch to offer stapled financing to the eventual buyer of Endemol.

"If Telefonica were to decide to divest its 75% stake in Endemol N.V., it is its intention to solicit from the potential purchaser a public offer for the other 25% of the shares outstanding in Endemol N.V.," Endemol said.

Telefonica, which bought Endemol for 5.5 billion euros ($7.25 billion) in 2000, listed a stake in the company in 2005. Endemol's current market capitalisation is around 2.7 billion euros.

Contact U.S. News

  • CNBC NEWSLETTERS

    Get the best of CNBC in your inbox

    Please choose a subscription

    Please enter a valid email address
    To learn more about how we use your information,
    please read our Privacy Policy.

Don't Miss

U.S. Video

  • Hero miles for military members: Real estate magnate's plea

    Chairman of the Fisher House Foundation, Ken Fisher, discusses the Hero Miles program with CNBC's Dina Gusovsky. During Military Appreciation Month, Fisher is asking every traveler to donate 1,000 of their miles to replenish the Hero Miles programs that is in danger of running out.

  • Cramer shuts down this market's haters

    "Mad Money" host Jim Cramer on why this market can't stop, won't stop.

  • From the battlefield to the boardroom

    Your Grateful Nation is dedicated to helping Special Forces veterans enter the corporate world and Knot Standard provides complimentary suits to vets. Mad Money's Jim Cramer spoke with Rob Clapper, Your Grateful executive director; John Ballay, Knot Standard co-founder and president; Tej Gill, retired U.S. Navy Seal; and Darren McB, active duty U.S. Navy Seal.