With the big game just around the corner, we decided to add to last week's post on the companies that are primed for big business on the back of Super Sunday...
Music: Halftime and pre-game show performances have helped drive music sales for the artists since the early 90's (Nielsen); will Tom Petty feel the love?
- 2007 Halftime Show: Prince
- After the 2007 Super Bowl, Prince's album sales more than doubled according to Billboard
- Amazon.com reported that several of his records including The Hits/B-Sides, The Hits 2, Ultimate Prince and 3121 were selling more that normal after his "Purple Rain" performance
- The biggest jump was in sales of The Very Best of Prince which moved from No. 999 to No. 38 on Amazon's "Top Sellers" list
- Yahoo's Buzz log was besieged with Prince queries such as "How old is Prince?" and "How tall is Prince?" www.vibe.com
- 2008 Halftime Show: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Tom Petty told AP that he isn't much of a football fan, but he couldn't refuse the opportunity to play at the Super Bowl,"...it's probably the biggest audience you can have I would imagine"
- The game and halftime show will be broadcast in more than 230 countries and territories, and last year's show received almost 140M viewers
- Tom Petty announced a new world tour on January 24th, inspired by the Super Bowl?
- Tickets for the Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' North American tour go on sale on February 3rd, the day after the Super Bowl
- Incidentally, Tom Petty is 57 years old, he is about 5'8" - 5'9" depending on the source, and he has received 18 Grammy nominations
The announcement that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would be doing the halftime show ignited an 800% increase in online buzz compared to October, 2007, some questioning whether Petty can compare with Prince. (Nielsen)
- Warner Music Group has been Tom Petty's record label since 1991
- Apple iTunes
- Best Buy
- Search Engines and IM getting increased traffic:
Japanese tire firm Bridgestone/Firestone has been named the "Official Tire Sponsor" of the halftime show in 2008 and 2009
-140M viewers tuned in to watch last year's show with Prince, a huge amount of eyeballs and promotion