Thirsting for Water
Patti Domm wrote in her latest Market Insider post, "Water is the commodity that nobody can live without." While there has been much focus on soaring Energy, Metals and Agricultural commodities, could water be the next big thing? While results YTD are mixed, here is a set of water related securities that you may want to consider when looking at the short and longer term demands for H20.
- PowerShares Water Resources Portfolio includes companies that focus on the provision of potable water, the treatment of water, and the technology and services that are directly related to water consumption. It is down 9.4% YTD
- PowerShares Global Water Portfolio includes global companies that focus on the provision of potable water, the treatment of water, and the technology and services that are directly related to water consumption. It is down 8.5% YTD
- Claymore S&P Global Water Index includes companies that focuses on global demand for water, including water utilities, infrastructure, equipment, instruments and materials. YTD, CGW is down 9.1%
Water Utilities (sorted by Market Cap):
- Companhia de Saneamento Basico (ADR) provides water and sewage services in Sao Paulo, Brazil. YTD the ADR is up 1.7%.
- Aqua America Inc is the nation’s largest U.S.-based, publicly-traded water company, providing water and wastewater services to approximately 2.8 million residents in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Texas, New Jersey, Indiana, Virginia, Florida, North Carolina, Maine, Missouri, New York and South Carolina. YTD WTR is down 10.6%.
- California Water Service Group is the largest investor-owned American water utility west of the Mississippi River, and the second largest in the country. The Company has five wholly owned subsidiaries operating in California, Washington, New Mexico, and Hawaii. CWT is up 3.1% YTD.
- American States Water Company provides water service to Californians in Northern, Coastal and Southern California, and to a small pouplation in Arizona. YTD, AWR is down 9.6%
- SJW Corp is a holding company that owns and operates the San Jose Water Company which provides water services to 1 million customers in the San Jose metro area. YTD, the stock is down 10.6%
- Cascal B.V. is a UK based compay that provides water and wastewater services to its customers in seven countries: the United Kingdom, South Africa, Indonesia, China, Chile, Panama and The Philippines. YTD, HOO is flat.
Other small water utilities include Consolidated Water Co Ltd , Southwest Water Company , Middlesex Water Company and Connecticut Water Service, Inc.
Water Infrastructure and Machinery (sorted by Market Cap):
- Flowserve Corp produces products that move, control, and protect the flow of water, including pumps, valves and control systems for water supply, treatment, desalination, irrigation and waste water collection. Flowserve has been one of the outperformers in the group returning 10% YTD.
- Pentair Inc is a diversified operating company. Its water business provides residential and commercial pump systems, purification and filtration products, and pool and spa products. YTD Pentair is down 7.8%.
- Valmont Industries Inc is another diversified company that provides irrigation equipment to croplands while conserving fresh water resources. VMI is down 11.3% YTD.
- Watts Water Technologies Inc designs and manufactures valves and related products that promote the comfort and safety of people and the quality, conservation and control of water used in commercial, residential, industrial and municipal applications. It is down 6.9% YTD.
- Circor International Inc designs, manufactures, and supplies valves, related products and services to companies that rely on fluid-control to accomplish their missions. CIR is up 3.8% YTD.
- Mueller Water Products Inc is a leading North American manufacturer and marketer of infrastructure and flow control products for use in water distribution networks and treatment facilities. YTD, MWA is down 16.1%.
- Lindsay Corp is an international agribusiness and highway infrastructure firm that focuses on better ways to irrigate almost any crop on varied terrain and soils to increase yields. YTD it is also up 10%.