NBA 10 year Jersey Sales List-Guess Who's Number One!
So the NBA has given us the mother of all jersey sales lists. In honor of them celebrating the upcoming 10-year anniversary of their store in New York City, they have released their top 10 best selling jerseys.
Here is the list:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Allen Iverson
4. Lebron James
5. Shaquille O'Neal
6. Tracy McGrady
7. Dwyane Wade
8. Jason Kidd
9. Vince Carter
10. Tim Duncan
So here are my thoughts:
1. The most important thing to note is that there is not a single player who has played a minute for the New York Knicks. While Allan Houston and Stephon Marbury have been on the yearly lists over the years, the fact that a Knicks player isn't on the decade list from the sales figures of a store located in Manhattan speaks volumes as to how far this franchise has fallen. Meanwhile, two guys who have played for the nets crack the list.
2. Michael Jordan at number one, while not surprising, is amazing. The guy still is the man. And he was only on the court for three of those 10 years.
3. Polarizing figures take the second and third spots on the list in Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson. Controversy hasn't kept these guys away from the register.
4. LeBron at No. 4 already is amazing considering his jersey has only been selling for five years.
5. While I'm not surprised that Shaq is at five, I am surprised Duncan is at 10. I don't remember him consistently cracking the top 10 over the years to make this list and he would have had to make a significant move over the last two years to be in there. Don't get me wrong. Duncan can sell in Texas and Mexico, I'm just not sure number 21's are coming off the racks on Fifth Avenue.
Questions? Comments? SportsBiz@cnbc.com