Despite recent signs of strength in stocks, the markets are still in the red for the year. To help protect your portfolio, CNBC's "Closing Bell" got advice from George Shipp and Barry James, two 5-star fund managers who offered their strategies and stock picks.
George Shipp, portfolio manager at Scott & Stringfellow
- Buy companies with above-average yields and attractive dividends.
- Look for growth.
- Stay away from utilities and telecom right now.
- Kinder Morgan
- Waste Management
Shipp, personally and through his fund, holds shares in one or more of the above-mentioned stocks. (Contd.)
Barry James, president and portfolio manager at James Advantage Funds
- Focus on capital preservation
- Make the shift from bonds to stocks
- Look for companies with strong overseas sales
- Stay away from housing-related names
- Don’t chase the big financials yet
- CSX Corp.
James, through his fund, holds shares in one or more of the above-mentioned stocks.