Million Dollar Portfolio Challenge: Trades of the Day
Nearly 1.4 billion shares and $18 billion traded yesterday in CNBC's Million Dollar Portfolio Challenge. The top currency trader has more than doubled his money making over $219,000 since currency trading began. Check out Sue Herrera's currency tips here and for daily currency updates, go to http://www.cnbc.com/id/22618039.
Contest Widely Helds and Actives:
NZD/JPY and NZD/USD entered the contest most active currencies displacing the AUD/JPY and EUR/GBP.
*The New Zealand dollar rallied Friday against most major currencies as its economic data showed that the New Zealand economy has contracted less than expected.
**The New Zealand Dollar and the Australian dollar often move in tandem, both are high yielding and bought by investors searching for higher returns.
EUR/USD remains the most actively traded currency pair, and with the Euro-zone CPI coming in hotter than expected at a record 4%, the euro is moving off its lows against the US dollar. This news is firming up expectations that the European Central Bank (ECB) will raise rates on Thursday, a bullish signal for the euro.
- RF Micro Devices climbed back into the Most Widely Helds pushing Yahoo out of the top 20 Friday.
Sirius Satellite Radio continues its stranglehold on the contest Widely Helds, but Rite Aid was the most actively traded security in the contest on Friday.
*Rite Aid hit a 52-week low on Thursday, and investors were hoping for a bounce, which they got as RAD rebounded by 9.63% on Friday.
Industrials continue to represent 30% of the top widely helds followed by Financials at 25%.
Sample of Top Trades in the Leaderboard: Precious Metals and Mining companies dominate as gold rallies
- Hecla Mining if you bought on Thursday before 4pET and held/sold on Friday, you made 10.71%
- Gammon Gold if you bought on Thursday before 4pET and held/sold on Friday, you made 7.30%
- Pan American Silver if you bought on Thursday before 4pET and held/sold on Friday, you made 6.88%
- Eldorado Gold if you bought on Thursday before 4pET and held/sold on Friday, you made 6.23%
- Yamana Gold if you bought on Thursday before 4pET and held/sold on Friday, you made 6.15%
Sample of Losing Trades from the Leaderboard:
James River Coal if you bought on Thursday before 4pET and held/sold on Friday, you lost -0.78%
Bets for today (June 30th): Dominated by Precious Metals and Mining
- Agnico-Eagle Mines