Thumbnail Profiles: Obama's Economic Team
President-elect Barack Obama officially announced key members of his economic team today. The new appointees—and details on their work experience—are listed here:
Timothy F. Geithner, Secretary of the Treasury
- Currently serves as president and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, where he has played a key role in formulating the nation’s monetary policy.
- Joined the Department of the Treasury in 1988 and served three presidents.
- Served as Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs from 1991 to 2001.
- Served as director of the Policy Development and Review Department at the International Monetary Fund until 2003.
- Graduate of Dartmouth College and the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies.
Lawrence H. Summers, Director of the National Economic Council
- Currently the Charles W. Eliot University Professor at Harvard University.
- Served as 71st Secretary of the Treasury from 1999 to 2001 and as president of Harvard from 2001 to 2006.
- Served as Deputy and Under Secretary of the Treasury and as the World Bank’s top economist.
- Taught economics at Harvard and MIT, and is a recipient of the John Bates Clark Medal, awarded to the American economist under 40 judged to have made the most significant contribution to economics.
- Played key advisory role during the 2008 presidential campaign.
Christina D. Romer, Director of the Council of Economic Advisors
- Class of 1957 Professor of Economics at the University of California, Berkeley since 1988.
- Was an assistant professor of economics and public affairs at Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.
- Co-director of the Program in Monetary Economics at the National Bureau of Economic Research and has been a visiting scholar at the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
Melody C. Barnes, Director of the Domestic Policy Council
- Co-director of the Agency Review Working Group for the Obama-Biden Transition Team, and served as the Senior Domestic Policy Advisor to Obama for America.
- Previously served as Executive Vice President for Policy at the Center for American Progress and as chief counsel to Senator Edward M. Kennedy on the Senate Judiciary Committee from December 1995 until March 2003.
Heather A. Higginbottom, Deputy Director of the Domestic Policy Council
- Served as Policy Director for Obama for America, overseeing all aspects of policy development.
- Served as Senator John Kerry’s Legislative Director from 1999 to 2007.
- Served as the Deputy National Policy Director for the Kerry-Edwards Presidential Campaign for the primary and general elections.
- Founded and served as Executive Director of the American Security Project after the 2004 election, a national security think tank.
- Started career as an advocate at the national non-profit organization Communities in Schools.