Market 360: The Week's Best & Worst
All three major US indices finished the week in positive territory, helped by better-than-expected economic data on Friday, suggesting that certain areas of the economy may be stabilizing. The NASDAQ Composite continued its rally, closing to the upside for the eighth straight week.
- The NASDAQ Composite has advanced 32.87% from its close on March 13th.
- The last time the NASDAQ had eight weeks of straight gains was on the week ending December 31, 1999.
- Year-to-date, the NASDAQ Composite is the only major index trading in the green, up 9.02%.
- In the past eight weeks, the S&P 500 has advanced 27.04%, while the Dow has gained 22.71%.
- The biggest percent gainers in the NASDAQ 100 included Expedia (EXPE), First Solar (FSLR), and Life Technologies (LIFE), advancing 31.6%, 22.7%, and 19.8% respectively for the week.
- Among the S&P 500 index, Massey Energy (MEE), International Paper (IP), and Morgan Stanley (MS), rose the most this week, up 32.5%, 20.1%, and 17.6% respectively.
- Caterpillar (CAT) and Disney (DIS) had the largest impact on the Dow this week, gaining 10.8% and 8.3% respectively.
Nine out of ten sectors closed the week in positive territory, led by Utilities, Materials and Energy companies.