Dow 10,000 - Components Then & Now
The markets are higher today, with the Dow reaching within 68 points of 10,000 in this morning's trading. The Dow, which closed on Friday at a new high for 2009 at 9864.94 is currently trading near October 2008 levels, as it also managed to reach a new intraday peak for 2009 today at 9931.82.
The last time the Dow traded above 10,000 on an intraday level was on 10/07/08 and it last closed above that level on 10/03/08. The first time the Dow closed above 10,000 was on 3/29/99 when it settled at 10,006.78 and remained at five-digit levels until a year and a half after the tech bubble burst. Since then, the Dow component that has increased the most is Caterpillar, up 127% since March 1999, and worst off is Motors Liquidation, the former General Motors, down -99%, and now trading over the counter, under symbol MTLQQ.
See below for Dow 10,000 stats and for composition, then and now.
Dow 10,000 Stats:
- The last time the Dow closed above 10K was on 10/03/08 when it settled at 10,325.38
- The first time the Dow closed above 10K was on 3/29/99 when it settled at 10,006.78 and remained above 10K until the tech bubble burst
- The first time the Dow crossed above 10K on an intraday basis was on 3/16/99 when it traded at an intraday high of 10,001.78
- In the last bull market starting in December 2003, the Dow closed above 10K for the first time on 12/11/2003 at 10,008.16, and remained above 10K on a closing basis until 10/03/2008 marking a total of 1,184 days that the Dow settled above 10K - almost 5 years. (Note: The Dow whipsawed back and forth across the 10K line, basing for a time in 2004, but the Dow remained steadily above 10,000 from 10/27/04 until October 3, 2008)
- The highest close ever for the Dow was on 10/9/2007 when the Dow settled at 14,164.53
- The highest intraday level for the Dow was on 10/11/2007 14,198.10
- The highest close for the Dow in 2008 was on 5/2/08 when the Dow settled at 13,058.2
- The Dow's March 9 bear market low of 6,547.05, was its lowest closing value since 4/14/97 when the Dow settled at 6,451.