Gaming The Super Bowl Commercials
With some Super Bowl ads generating a great deal of buzz, is there a trade to be had?
Along with the Saints, a number of advertisers attempted to score big points during Sunday's Super Bowl. They follow:
- Dr Pepper Snapple, used its first ever Super Bowl commercial to trumpet Dr. Pepper Cherry in a spot featuring rock group Kiss.
- Sprint enlisted some of the players from the 1985 Chicago Bears Super Bowl team, including Jim McMahon and Mike Singletary.
- Google ran a commercial during the game, an unusual marketing decision for a company that typically avoids mass market commercials. The spot was well-received by experts.
- Intel returned to the Super Bowl after 12 years, with a spot about a robot.
- Anheuser-Busch purchased the most commercial time in the game, spending millions to buy 5 minutes, in an attempt to reach beer drinking football fans.
Who won with their ads -- and for that matter -- who lost? What’s the trade?
They took a simple approach but I was impressed by Google’s ad, says Gary Kaninksy. It reminded people that Google’s core business is all about search and not all that other noise.
I was impressed by the Pepsi ad, says Pete Najarian. I think it could sell Doritos.
I had been bearish Pepsi, counters Dennis Gartman, and that’s a trade that’s worked. But I’m switching that short position into Coke .
Their ad was hokey but I think Diamond Foods might be worth a look, says Guy Adami.
Got something to to say? Send us an e-mail at email@example.com and your comment might be posted on the Rapid Recap. If you'd prefer to make a comment but not have it published on our website send those e-mails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trader disclosure: On February 8th, 2010, the following stocks and commodities mentioned or intended to be mentioned on CNBC’s Fast Money were owned by the Fast Money traders; Adami Owns (AGU), (C), (BTU), (GS), (INTC), (NUE), (MSFT); Kaminsky Is Short (LULU); Najarian Owns (AAPL) Call Spread; Najarian Owns (GILD) Call Spread; Najarian Owns (INTC) Calls; Najarian Owns (MS), Is Short (MS) Calls; Najarian Owns (TCK), Is Short (TCK) Calls; Najarian Owns (XLF) Calls; Najarian Owns (CLF) Call Spread
For Dennis Gartman
Funds Managed By Dennis Gartman Are Long Australian Dollars, Canadian Dollars
Funds Managed By Dennis Gartman Are Short British Pound Sterling, Euro,
Funds Managed By Dennis Gartman Own (BWLD), (DRI), (PNRA)
Funds Managed By Dennis Gartman Are Short (MT), (NUE), (PEP)
For Brian Kelly
Kanundrum Capital Owns (HOV)
Kanundrum Capital Owns (PHM)
Kanundrum Capital Owns (TOL)
Kanundrum Capital Owns (WY)
Kanundrum Capital Owns (PCL)
Kanundrum Capital Owns (RYN)
Kelly Owns (HOV) Calls
Kanundrum Capital Is Short Euro
Kanundrum Capital Is Short U.S. Dollar
Kelly Owns (FXE) Puts
For Tim Seymour
Seygem Asset Management Owned (MTL) On 2/3/10
Seymour Owns (AAPL)
Seymour Owns (BAC)
Seymour Owns (EEM)
Seymour Owns (ETFC)
Seymour Owns (F)
Seymour Owns (INTC)
Seygem Asset Management Is Short (VALE)
Seygem Asset Management Owns (GFI)
Seygem Asset Management Is Short (BIDU)
Seymour Owns (FXI)
CNBC.com with wires