American Titans: Apple By the Numbers
In our special series "American Titans," CNBC.com is taking an in-depth look at Apple.
Led by legendary CEO Steve Jobs, the company's market cap value has gone from $4.8 billion back in the year 2000 to $231 billion today, an increase of about 4,700% in the past 10 years.
Apple was founded in 1976 by Jobs and partners Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne. Less than a year later, Wayne sold his stake to Jobs and Wozniak for only $800.
Since then, Apple has redefined the computer, music, and consumer electronics industries, with products that include the Macintosh, iMac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, and most recently, the iPad.
When Apple went public in 1980, its initial public offering was the most successful since Ford in 1956. The company has been singled out for innovation and brand loyality among consumers and is also known for a very secretive corporate culture.
What follows are some facts and figures about this "American Titan."
Stock Performance & Valuation
- Close on May 10, 2010: $253.99
- Median Price Target: $315 (Source: Thomson One)
- All time intraday high: $272.46 on April 26, 2010
- All time closing high: $270.83 on April 23, 2010
- P/E: 21.5
- Price / Book: 5.79x
- TEV / EBITDA (Latest Twelve Months): 13.86x
- YTD: 21%
- 1-Year: 97%
- 3-Year: 137%
- 5-Year: 597%
- 10-Year: 923%
- 20-Year: 2,374%
- 2009 Revenue: $42.9 billion of which 52% was domestic
- Latest Qtr: $13.5 billion (Q2 2010)
- Forecast 2010 Revenue: $58.5 billion
- Revenue Growth (2009-10): 36%
- 2009 EPS: $9.08
- Latest Qtr: $3.33 (Q2 2010)
- Forecast 2010 EPS: $13.145
- EPS Growth (2009-10): 45%
- Strong Buy: 13
- Buy: 22
- Hold: 3
- Sell: 1
- Underperform: 1
Three Highest Paid Executives
- Timothy Cook
- Chief Operating Officer since October 2005
- Joined Apple Computer Inc. in 1998 as Senior Vice President of worldwide operations
- Total Annual Compensation: $14M
- Robert Mansfield, Senior Vice President of Mac Hardware Engineering
- Total Annual Compensation: $13.9M
- Scott Forstall, Senior Vice President of iPhone Software Engineering & Platform Experience
- Total Annual Compensation: $13.8M
Note: Steve Jobs was reappointed as Chief Executive Officer, Director of Apple Inc. in June 2009. He has been the Director of Apple since 1997. Since 2004, however, Mr. Jobs total annual compensation stands at $1.
Source: CNBC Analytics, Capital IQ and Thomson Reuters
Comments? Send them to email@example.com