Davidson Kempner continues to make money by focusing on beat up loans—despite the general perception that bonds have little to offer investors.» Read More
Meredith Whitney's dismal prediction for municipality defaults is wrong and Whitney should probably do some more homework on the muni bond market, said Suzanne Shank, CEO and co-founder of Sibert Brandford Shank & Co, a municipal investment bank.
Futures trading down to its lowest level in about 3-months has market watchers asking if this is the end of the big bull run in gold?
The bad decisions made by some of "Wall Street's finest" during the financial crisis are still being felt. Today the Securities and Exchange Commission will be meeting to consider implementing parts of the Dodd-Frank bank-reform law—including the all important shareholder votes on executive compensation.
CEO compensation becomes a hot topic at the end and the beginning of every year. Its especially juicy when a CEO gets a golden parachute that makes you so mad that you, yourself, could fail your way up to a fortune.
But the anger and disgust should not just be directed to the corner office. The boards should also be looked at. We all know boards are not perfect, so what needs to be done to make sure its not a bunch of golf buddies around a table? I decided to speak again with Sydney Finkelstein, Steven Roth Professor of Management at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College.
The question of 'austerity' represents a fundamental schism in worldview among economists.
The acquisition of Countrywide Financial by Bank of America is the grift that keeps on grifting.
Yesterday a dozen or so insurance companies that invested in Countrywide mortgage-backed securities from 2005 to 2007 filed a lawsuit accusing the mortgage lender of “massive fraud.”
Although single-family home prices fell for a fifth straight month in November, the latest numbers out of Case-Shiller’s composite index weren’t as bad as expected.
The consensus was for a decline of 0.8 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis in the 20-city index. But the decline from October to November was just 0.5 percent. (Unadjusted for seasonal impact, the index fell 1 percent in Novemeber, a slowdown from the 1.3 percent in October.)
I’m sure you will hear lots of happy talk today about how the double-dip in housing prices seems to be decelerating. I don’t believe it. I think it was a head-fake.
The economic numbers out of London this morning are dismal.
Instead of the 0.5 percent growth in GDP that was forecast the British economy contracted by 0.5 percent—a total swing of negative 1 percent growth.
The open question is this: What is the cause of the drop?
It’s never as good as the first time. I’m talking bonuses here—get your head out of the gutter and into the Street. Too big or too small, Wall Street workers are getting paid billions of dollars in bonuses. And while first time bonuses are not the biggest, they are often the most meaningful and memorable.
"UK economy shrinks 0.5%" [Financial Times] UK economy shrinks a 0.5 percent: Austerity model questioned: "The Office for National Statistics said on Tuesday that the nation's GDP fell by 0.5 per cent in the quarter, rather than rising by the 0.5 per cent rate that was the average forecast of a poll of economists conducted by Thomson Reuters. The economy expanded by 1.2 per cent and 0.7 per cent in the second and third quarters of the year respectively."
Paulson Makes a Killing on Citi [Bloomberg Businessweek] "Paulson & Co., the $35.9 billion hedge fund run by John Paulson, told clients that it made more than $1 billion on its Citigroup Inc. investment in the past 18 months. Citigroup, which surged 43 percent last year, was the fund's most profitable bank holding last year, Paulson said in a letter to clients this month."
Hedge funds have seen the worst start to the year since the financial crisis, as returns in January and March were both in the red.
The Fed indicated to Citi that it would get more time to fix "stress test" planning problems before rejecting its capital plan.
Goldman Sachs reported quarterly earnings and revenue that topped analysts' expectations on Thursday.