Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway was busy in the third quarter.
The company's quarterly stock portfolio filing with the SEC shows that during the three months ending September 30, Berkshire added a new stake in Bank of New York Mellon.
Berkshire reports holding almost two million shares of the company, worth about $55 million at today's closing price of just under $28/share. Current price:
Berkshire's filing shows no holdings for five companies that had been listed in the Q2 filing. They are:
- Home Depot: 2.76 million shares, now worth $86.6 million, sold.
- Republic Services: 10.8 million shares, now worth $306.9 million, sold.
- Carmax: 7.73 million shares, now worth $254.0 million, sold.
- Iron Mountain: 8 million shares, now worth $182.5 million, sold.
- NRG Energy: 6 million shares, now worth $118.8 million, sold.
Many, or all, of the eliminated holdings may have been purchased by Lou Simpson, the GEICO investment manager who is retiring at the end of the year.
Proceeds may be used to provide incoming Todd Combs with the $2 to $3 billion he'll be managing, at least to start.
The filing also shows reductions in holdings for:
- Comcast: stake cut by 98% to 186,897 shares from 12,000,000 shares.
11,813,103 shares, now worth $228.3 million, sold. (General Electric and Comcast have an agreement to create a joint venture that will include CNBC. It awaits government approval.)
- Ingersoll Rand: stake cut by 89% to 636,600 shares from 5,636,600 shares.
5,000,000 shares, now worth $211 million, sold.
- Nike: stake cut by 52% to 3,642,929 shares from 7,641,000 shares.
3,998,071 shares, now worth $327 million, sold.
- Nalco Holding: stake cut by 33% to 6,142,300 shares from 9,150,000 shares.
3,007,700 shares, now worth $89.7 million, sold.
- Fiserv: stake cut by 11% to 3,910,800 shares from 4,400,000 shares.
489,200 shares, now worth $27.1 million, sold.
- Moody's: stake cut by 6% to 28,873,756 shares from 30,783,876 shares.
1,910,120 shares, now worth $53.3 million, sold.
- Procter & Gamble: stake cut by 2% to 76,766,036 shares from 78,071,036 shares.
1,305,000 shares, now worth $83.9 million, sold.
There was small increases for:
- Wells Fargo: stake increased by 5% to 336,408,845 shares from 320,088,385 shares.
16,320,460 shares, now worth $451.4 million, bought.
- Johnson and Johnson: stake increased by 3% to 42,624,563 shares from 41,319,563 shares.
1,305,000 shares, now worth $83.8 million, bought.
Our Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio Tracker has been updated to include the latest numbers.
Current Berkshire stock prices: