June is typically a rough month for stocks and so we’re beginning to see more of the defensive sectors outperform, said Mark Tepper, managing partner and co-founder of Strategic Wealth Partners.
“We’re definitely positioned much more defensively than 2 to 3 months ago,” Tepper told CNBC.
“With QE2 [Fed quantitative easing] wrapping up, we feel the markets have been spoiled since Jackson Holein that the corrections have been extremely shallow.”
Tepper expects that once the Fed’s support is eventually removed, volatility is going to increase throughout the summer and corrections in the 10 to 15 percent are going to become “much more common.”
iShares DJ US Energy
iShares DJ US Hlth
iShares DJ Div
Scorecard—What He Said:
- Tepper's Previous Appearance on CNBC (May 9, 2011)
More Market Intelligence:
- Six Short and Long-Term Plays: Stock Pickers
- Time to Get Defensive—Invest Here: Stock Picker
- Dow Record for June? Pretty Bad
CNBC Data Pages:
CNBC's Companies in the News:
- Nokia Warns of Weaker Sales, Shares Tumble
- Google Says Chrome to Power Only Notebooks For Now
Tepper, his family and firm own shares of IYH and DVY.