Airport Security Gets Easier for Select Frequent Flyers
Some travelers can leave their shoes on and laptops in their bags when clearing airport security with the Transportation Security Administration's PreCheck program. The list of airports and airlines participating is growing.
The PreCheck program offers invited frequent flyers, from several major airlines, access to dedicated security lanes at U.S. airports. Typically, an elite membership in an airline's frequent flyer program is required to participate, but the time saving program is also open to passengers, who have signed up for the Global Entry program with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency.
Newly added this week is a lane at New York's LaGuardia Airport for invited members of Delta Air Lines' SkyMiles program, as well as additional checkpoints for American Airlines AAdvantage members at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.
The program is targeted to expand this year, and will eventually include 35 airports across the country.
When the program launched, I was invited by American Airlines to participate, but have yet to travel with them through one of the airports in operation. The current list of airlines and airports is as follows:
- Atlanta (ATL): T-South Checkpoint (Delta)
- Chicago (ORD): Terminal 3, Checkpoint 8 (American)
- Dallas (DFW): Terminal C, Checkpoint C30 (American)
- Detroit (DTW): Checkpoint 2 on the ticketing level (Delta)
- Las Vegas (LAS): D Gates First Class Checkpoint (American and Delta)
- Los Angeles (LAX): Terminal 4 (American)
- New York John F. Kennedy (JFK): Terminal 8 Main Checkpoint (American)
- New York LaGuardia (LGA): Delta Main Checkpoint (Delta)
- Miami (MIA): D2 Checkpoint (American)
- Minneapolis (MSP): Lindbergh Terminal, Checkpoint 4 (American and Delta)
- Salt Lake City (SLC): Terminal 2 Checkpoint (Delta)
- Washington D.C. (DCA): Terminal B, South Checkpoint (Delta)
According to the TSA website, Alaska Airlines , United Airlines and US Airways will begin offering select passengers access later in 2012.