A growing chorus of Republicans are calling for heads to roll, alleging that the White House knew the Libya attack was a pre-planned act of terror but refused to tell the American people.
“Within 24 hours the White House, the State Department and Ambassador Susan Rice knew it was a terror attack,” said Larry Kudlow.
But for days administration officials called the attack spontaneous, and rather than blaming it on terror, they said the catalyst was a recent film that depicted Islam in an unflattering light.
On September 16th, a full five days after the attack, Ambassador Susan Rice went on television and continued to insist the attack was not pre-planned.
“How’s that possible,” exclaimed Larry Kudlow. “This seems like a security break down of the worst kind and a pre-election cover-up of the worst kind. I say it’s time for Susan Rice to resign, right now.”
Jennifer Rubin, The Washington Post’s “Right Turn” blog author shares Kudlow’s outrage.
“The President of the United States needs to come before the American people and explain to them what he knew and when he knew it,” she said on The Kudlow Report.
The GOP outcry comes after published reports suggested a terrorist group may have been planning the assault for months.
According to Reuters, there were indications that members of a militant faction calling itself Ansar al Sharia - which translates as Supporters of Islamic Law - may have organized the attack in response to a drone attack earlier in the year.
On Tuesday, September 20th, the White House did in fact describe events in Libya as an act of terror. “It is self-evident that what happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack,” said White House press secretary, Jay Carney at the time.
On September 11, 2012 Ambassador, Christopher Stevens, and the other Americans were killed after Islamist gunmen attacked the U.S. consulate and a safe house refuge in Benghazi.
"The Kudlow Report" airs weeknights at 7 p.m. ET.